About Me

Country girl. Mother. sister. friend. Loves coffee, M&ms, oreo cookies, shoes, baseball, In style and Glamour, reality tv, playing piano, music, geography, anything with polkadots, medieval history, historical architecture, sunsets, travelling, and of course photography.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First day of school


Old abandoned school bus, originally uploaded by Baroni.

Dedicated to all you mothers who think this is NOT the most wonderful time of year:(

AHHH! It's that time of year......Again? Wasn't the last day of school just like the other day? Seriously people. Where did the summer go? Was it even here? At what second did I blink my eye, and the summer just slipped by?
I truly, honestly despise this time of year.....the dreaded first day of school. Now, I know that there are alot of mothers out there who break out the champaign, start blowing off the fireworks, and cheer boisterously while their kids walk out the door towards school. But, I am NOT one of those mothers. I'm the mother who puts off the school shopping till the day before school starts. Who stays up late with kids during the last week of summer holidays because going to sleep just means wasting away the hours before your kids go back. Who rolls out of bed on that very first day of school and mopes to eachof their bedrooms to get the kids out of bed, maybe even lie in bed with all of my four kids just for a bit to cuddle, and then drag my butt down the stairs to start making the school lunches, while in between all these tasks, shedding a tear or two.......then, (here we go, sniff,) sending them out the door (after a full blown photo shoot of course) and clinging to each and every one of them for a couple minutes, trying not to cry, and telling them I love them more than words can say and that I will miss them incessantly. "Geez mom, it's not like we're going off to war" says my very clever 10 year old Taylor. Then i wipe my tears, laugh and realize that she's right. It is a true privilege that they get to go to school. It expands their minds, imagination, creativity, gives them structure, and discipline, and good fun times with their friends. When I think of some of my most memorable times from my growing up years, most of them are from my school days. I guess going back to school isn't so bad.....I mean now I have more time to have a nice day out with Ange and Sharon, or a quiet breakfast and lunch with my husband Mike.
But couldn't we atleast add a month or two to the summer holidays? that's all I ask:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You made me cry! I think we would get along just fine....we seem to feel that same. Our "first" day isn't until next Tuesday...I already have the shakes. I agree with everything....absolutely everything you had to say. Not only are your an amazing photographer but you have a gift with the words. I can't wait to meet you!! How come I imagine you standing in your laneway waiting for that yellow bus to appear in a few short hours?? Wishing you a happy little afterschool reunion. Thinking of you!!!!